Cardio is a must for burning calories and losing overall body fat, but you need to complement it with strength training to build muscle. More muscle mass not only burns extra calories, it also transforms the way your body looks, so your weight loss is even more noticeable. Sculpted, toned arms, shoulders, and an upper back are only a click away – just follow one of these effective upper-body workouts regularly, and you’re sure to notice a difference in your strength and appearance.
Source: POPSUGAR Studios
We love holiday weekends as much as the next girl, but a party-filled Fourth doesn’t have to mean giving up on your workout goals for the weekend. In fact, a longer weekend is the perfect time to do yourself proud and schedule in an intense, longer workout. Start your holiday off right by taking just an hour or so to do one of these workouts before you hit the barbecue.
- Gym circuit workout: This intense hour-long circuit workout will keep things interesting at the gym. Go from pushups to jumps to barbell presses, and in the blink of an eye, 60 minutes will pass by. The result? Hundreds of calories burned, and an afterburn effect that’ll stay with you well into your holiday festivities.
- Feel the burn: Ready for a treadmill challenge? This 60-minute treadmill and strength-training session – a modified version of the celeb-favorite Burn 60 workout – will have you hopping on and off the treadmill, which will really challenge your body. Never a dull moment, always a fierce calorie burn.
- Five-mile playlist: Ready to take your normal three-mile run up a notch? This weekend is the perfect time to get out a little longer. This 50-minute running playlist is perfect for those who are at a 10-minute mile.
- Outdoor running challenge: If you’re looking for a mix of both running and strength-training, all made for the outdoors, then this 60-minute running workout is for you. It involves running at your own fast pace for a few minutes, followed by a minute of fun muscle-building moves.
- Not bored on the elliptical: Give your elliptical routine a boost with this 60-minute elliptical interval workout, which will burn major calories before you go out.
It’s time to embrace the sun and get outside while you strength train. You can print every single one of these no-equipment workouts (or just pull them up on your phone) to take with you the next time you want to get out of the stuffy gym and strengthen those muscles. These workouts are especially fun to do after a good long run so you can skip the warmup, but they also work well alone. No matter how you decide to do these, it’s time to get outside and get inspired!
Source: Megan Wolfe Photography
Don’t waste time! Make your strength-training workouts more effective by keeping your body guessing by trying new things. Changing up your routine by working your muscles in different ways will make the body stronger and more sculpted and will also help prevent a fitness or weight-loss plateau.
If you’ve been doing the same strength-training workout forever, here are some new ideas. Choose an entirely different routine to do each time you work out.
- Prop-Free, 10-Minute HIIT Workout
- 30-Minute, Body-Weight Workout – No Equipment Needed
- Build Muscle and Burn Fat Plyometric Workout
- Full-Body Circuit Workout With Weights
Abs and Core
- Quick, 3-Minute Ab Routine
- Fit in 5: Ab Workout
- 10 Minutes to Tone: All Abs Workout
- 20-Minute Power-Plank Flat-Abs Challenge
- Quick, Intense, Effective: Your 5-Minute Arm Workout
- Target the Triceps in This 10-Minute Workout
- 10-Minute Tone-Up: Arms and Shoulders
- Tone Your Arms and Back in 15 Minutes!
- Fitness Quickie: Inner-Thigh Workout
- 5-Minute Upper-Thigh Workout
- 10-Minute Skinny-Jeans Workout
- 10-Minute Tush-Toning Pilates Workout
Here’s what Spring means to us: fewer treadmills and more of that wonderful vitamin D that comes from bringing workouts outside. I mean, how can you beat this recent poolside Pilates workout that one of our editors recently attended?
The next time you’re exercising outdoors, make sure to snap a photo and upload the pic to Instagram. Caption your photo with the hashtag #POPSUGARFitness, and include where you are and what kind of workout you’re doing. And don’t be afraid to get creative: snap a pic of you and your friends in action, your feet hitting the ground, or the look of relief when it’s all said and done. We’ll grab our favorites over the next few weeks and share them with you here on the site. If you can’t wait to see what pics readers are submitting, just search #POPSUGARFitness via the Instagram app.
Source: Instagram user POPSUGARFitness
No matter how you like your cardio at the gym, we’ve got the answer. Stick to your favorite machine or branch out and try a new one with all of our cardio workouts, all in one place. Changing up your cardio workout is a great way to burn more calories and keep from plateauing. If your treadmill, elliptical, or stationary-bike game could use a shake-up, take your pick below.