Going to the gym is more than just walking in and jumping on a treadmill: there’s etiquette to follow. With so many of you making good on your New Year’s resolutions and hitting the gym this month, make sure these gym-going tips are fresh in your mind.
- Gyms are ridiculously busy in January. Check out our tips for navigating when yours is overcrowded.
- No one wants to get sick from exercising. Protect yourself from the germiest spots in the gym. And do your part by always wiping down machines before you use them.
- Nervous about taking a fitness class? Why it’s important to tell the instructor you’re a newbie, spy on a class before you go, and always stay for the stretch.
- Know the ins and outs of navigating the machines: it’s important to be able to deal with treadmill hogs, but if that doesn’t work, try one of these underused pieces of cardio equipment instead.
- Even when you’re worried about time, there are ways to fit in a workout. Here are ways to maximize a treadmill workout and save time when strength training. When you’re done, make sure to follow our time-saving makeup routine for the locker room – no one will even guess you just worked out!
- Make sure to know how to act when you’re there. From weight room etiquette to dealing with unsolicited advice, always be on your best behavior.
- Gym mishaps? No problem, we’ve got you covered! Here are the 10 biggest mistakes you’re making at the gym. No sports bra or socks? Still not a problem. How to deal with gym wardrobe fails.