Beat holiday stress and start your shopping early - at least the small stuff. Fortunately, the gift of fitness doesn’t need to cost you a fortune. From the yogi to the runner to the gym rat in your life, here are 10 gifts under $ 10 for the fitness fanatic in your life. And with the price so low, you’ll want to pick up some of these items for yourself too.
When staying healthy is a goal, a lot of time is spent at the gym. But with so many options popping up in cities all over the country, the process of finding the perfect fitness center can be a little daunting. Between all the class options, equipment, and other amenities, we want to know: which of these gyms was your favorite place to work out last year?
We’ve already highlighted the best diet tips of the year, but we’ve learned just as much about how we exert our bodies. Here are a few of the biggest fitness news items of the year.
- Instant metabolism boost: Want to increase your body’s fat-burning potential? It only takes an hour of exercise to change your body’s DNA to increase your metabolism, a new study said. In fact, the effects can be seen in as little as 20 minutes – good to remember the next time you’re slogging away on the treadmill.
- One-minute intervals: Here’s another reason to love those high-intensity intervals: a study found that just one minute of high-intensity intervals followed by one minute of rest, for a total of 20 minutes, can increase your energy, regulate your blood sugar, and increase your body’s oxygen production. It doesn’t take much to keep your body healthy, so take a minute to sprint, up the resistance on your indoor bike, or just stop and do jumping jacks!
- 2.5 minutes, 200 calories: Is 20 minutes too long? Well then here’s even better news: another study found that just 2.5 minutes of high intensity can boost your metabolism to spur an afterburn of up to 200 more calories a day.
- Sitting is worse than smoking: You probably heard the news this year – sitting too much can be deadly. In fact, a report earlier this year said that 10 percent of all deaths are caused by a sedentary lifestyle. That’s higher than the amount of deaths from smoking, so even if you exercise for just 30 minutes a day, the news is a good reminder to keep doing what you’re doing and stay active throughout the day.
- Jog to live longer: What’s the secret to a long life? It may just be taking time to enjoy a nice leisurely jog. Researchers found that people who jogged at a slow or average pace lived longer than nonjoggers. So even if you consider yourself not a runner, adding a slow jog to your weekend can help your life expectancy.
- Yoga injury: Think of yoga as a healing practice? For many, it’s just the opposite, said The New York Times earlier this year. Many experienced yogis suffer injuries ranging from strokes to broken bones to permanent disabilities, which they say were the result of their practice. The takeaway? Yoga can be just what your body needs, but just make sure you don’t push yourself past your limit.
The year is coming to a close, and we want to hear from you! Tell us – do you practice brand loyalty? Whatever your favorite brand, make your voice heard by voting in our poll. Take a look at your shoes, gym bag, and workout gear, and then tell me: what brand gets you most excited to work out?
This year, Black Friday may have gotten all the attention, especially since some stores upped the ante and opened on Thanksgiving to start the shopping frenzy early. It’s no different online: in many cases, Black Friday deals are also available from the comfort of your living room couch. But even if you missed those sales, weekend and Cyber Monday deals mean you can still reap the benefits of deep discounts, free shipping, and one-day-only deals. Check out a few online deals on fitness gear happening this weekend and Cyber Monday below.
- Cabela’s: free shipping on orders of $ 99 or more. Enter code 2GIFTS.
- DailyBurn.com: free 30-day trial membership.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: free shipping and exclusive Black Friday web deals throughout weekend.
- Icebreaker: free shipping.
- Land’s End: 30 percent off everything and free shipping on all orders over $ 50. Use promo code THANKFUL and PIN: 2025.
- Lucy: free shipping on orders over $ 125.
- Nike: free shipping using code JUSTDOIT.
- Pressed Juicery: three-day holiday cleanse for $ 199 (regularly $ 285); free shipping within California (nationwide shipping also available for $ 235 total).
- REI: save up to 30 percent on snowboarding, skiing, and camping gear.
- SkinnyTees: 15 percent off using code CYBER12.
If you’ve got a fitness fan in your life, chances are she’s got a long list of dream gifts to help keep her in shape – a treadmill for the basement, her own yoga studio, or a personal trainer for life. But even you can’t spring for her wish-list items, there are plenty of practical gifts that can keep her on a healthy road. Here are 10 practical stocking stuffers for the fitness fan in your life!