When it comes to fitness, you never want to leave the house unprepared, but sometimes there’s just no place for workout gear at a cocktail party – until now. Since counting steps happens to be an obsession of ours, we were excited to learn that Tory Burch and Fitbit just took our favorite fitness accessory to the next level. Its new accessory collection includes a pendant and bracelets with compartments for your Fitbit Flex tracker ($ 100, sold separately). So go ahead and keep counting your steps, even after you’ve ditched your normal running sneakers for a pair of high heels.
Miley Cyrus has never been afraid to flaunt her body, but what’s her secret behind those toned abs and lean legs? The actress/singer is looking better than ever in NBC’s behind-the-scenes peek at her Bangerz tour, and we’ve got some tips on how to get her look. We may not be a pop star who throws parties on private jets or takes the stage at the World Music Awards, but we can certainly stay in shape and tone up with a similar fitness routine!
- Additional reporting by Emily Bibb
It’s the little things and, sometimes, the weirder, the better. A trainer from Shape shares all his odd tips for making workouts better!
Changing your body isn’t as hard as you may think. Little things add up – even the odd ones! Try these eight tips that may seem quirky and perhaps insignificant, but trust me, they will help you build a stronger, slimmer, healthier body.
1. Swipe away chafing. For a simple and effective way to end chafing between your legs, rub a stick of deodorant over your inner thighs. This will decrease sweat buildup and help you avoid the nasty of pain.
2. Tighten up your drinking. Place a rubber band on your water bottle, and lower it a few inches after each sip to mark the place you want to drink past each time when you’re taking more sips. (Remember, you should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water each day.)
3. Check your posture. The seams of your shirt can be a good indicator of strength imbalances between your chest and biceps (anterior) and your back (posterior). Next time you’re wearing a t-shirt, stand in front of a mirror to see if the stitching from the neck to the shoulder forms a straight line. If the lines turn slightly inward from the neck to the shoulders (anterior tilt), you may want to focus more attention on strengthening your back and improving your posture.
4. Do the twist. With Summer here, I recommend digging deep into your closet and doing a little cleaning out of your workout or running shoes. This may mean parting ways with your favorite kicks. However, this will help you avoid injury. A simple and effective way to know if your workout or running sneakers have performed their last rep is to perform a “twist test.” Hold the sneaker at each end, and twist. If the shoe easily rotates, the midsole is worn and is indicating that you need a replacement.
5. See red. This intense and powerful color can cause an energy surge, so you may benefit from wearing red clothes while exercising. Better yet, paint the walls of your in-home gym a vibrant red to get the most of your workouts.
6. Think cool. Stand as tall as possible throughout the day by pretending that you’re getting ice water poured down your back. This position will help not only by strengthening your core muscles, but also by boosting your caloric expenditure, forcing your body to maintain this position.
7. Juice your muscles. Tart cherries contain anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce exercise-induced muscle damage. Try drinking approximately an ounce of the concentrated red stuff twice a day to help reduce post-workout soreness.
8. Add a dash of salt. Sprinkle some salt into your shoe or sneaker at the end of the day, then shake it out in the morning. The salt will help pull out the sweat – and odor. This is perfect to do after a run or after wearing your shoes without socks.
Lately, it seems like no outfit is complete without a wearable fitness tracker. With sleek designs and bright colors, the latest and greatest in self-quantifying technology are making their presence known on arms everywhere. Interested in joining the fitness-tracking pack? We’ve rounded up 10 of the most popular fitness trackers – including the Nike+ FuelBand SE, Jawbone UP24, and Garmin Vivofit – to help you compare features and prices. Read on to find the right fit for you, then check out which trackers are the most accurate here!
For the duration of a active day, carving out an hour to head to the gymnasium can be difficult, so the question is – are you producing the most of people 60 minutes? With a couple of basic tweaks, you can enhance your calorie burn off quickly. Attempt these guidelines the following time you might be at the gymnasium to improve your sweat session.
Obtaining a tough time generating it to your workout? Check out out every of these GIFs that delivers a small animated inspiration. Whether or not you’re an aspiring yogi or gymnasium lover, at minimum one particular of these fit GIFs will support you get off that sofa and get your heart fee up these days.
POPSUGAR Physical fitness
Buh-bye, frigid air; hello, sunshine! With warmer weather blowing through your neighborhood, now’s the time to hop off the treadmill and hit the open road. Exercising in fresh air is bound to make you happier and will help you get your daily dose of vitamin D, but it might be a little rougher on your joints since treadmills are more forgiving than concrete and asphalt. Plus, moving your run outdoors means you lose the assistance of the treadmill pulling your legs backward, so your body works harder striking the ground with a bit more zeal. Use these tips to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Ease Into It
Move your runs outside gradually to allow your joints time to acclimate to the new running surface. Add one or two new outdoor runs to your regimen each week, decreasing the number of treadmill runs you do until all your runs are outside. Run shorter distances at first, gradually increasing mileage as your body is ready. Running too much too soon can cause shin splints, but so can weak shins. Try this shin-strengthening exercise and these calf stretches to prevent this common running issue.
Be a Tortoise
You might feel slower running outside with wind resistance, unpredictable road surfaces, and the challenge of propelling yourself forward off of solid ground. Be OK with your slower speed – you might feel so inspired by the beauty of nature that you won’t even notice your pace. As your body becomes stronger, your pace will naturally increase. You might want to hold off on running with someone else since their speed may push you too hard, unless you can find someone who runs at the same pace as you.
Go For a Soft Landing
Start off on a dirt trail or a spongy outdoor track; these surfaces are more joint-friendly than pavement. If a trail or track is hard to come by, try to avoid concrete sidewalks and run on asphalt instead, which has more give. If you’re on a busy road, remember to run against the flow of traffic so you can see oncoming cars.
Take It Easy on the Hills
Even if you’re used to pumping up the incline on the treadmill, hills outside can be much steeper, and that coupled with wind and blaring sunshine can make hills feel even more challenging. Look for shorter, less steep hills, and don’t be afraid to stop midway and walk if you need to (you’re still working your thighs and booty). Running uphill can make you feel like a superhero when you crest over the top, but running downhill is surprisingly rough on the quads and knees. Here are some tips for running downhill – you can learn to love the descent.
Use Map My Run to find new running routes in your zip code. You can also map out your route ahead of time to check your mileage and elevations to ensure there are no hilly surprises midrun.
Before heading out, let someone know where you’re going and the time you’re expected to return, so in case something happens (you fall and twist an ankle or get lost in the woods), someone will know to look for you. Running with an ID or Road ID bracelet is also a smart idea. Running outside means you’ll encounter other people, cars, and dogs, so keep the volume of your iPod down so you can hear what’s going on around you. Don’t forget the sunscreen and any other protective gear like sunglasses or a hat that you’ll need in the elements. If running at night is unavoidable, be sure to follow these night running tips.
Unwell of that a single guy staring at you each and every time you function out at the gym? Self has guidelines on how to make it end.
Lady, we feel you. This is how to shut it down appropriate.
- Ice him out. If the male on the bike throughout from yours is staring, you can just take it as
- Make the dude cringe. So he just is not going to give up looking. What now? It’s time to escalate. What he’s undertaking is rude, but he is assuming he can get absent with it. Confirm him improper by demanding him immediately, asking loudly: “Can I aid you with anything?” Abruptly, everybody at the health club will be hunting at him, and that embarrassing community publicity need to make him back off.
- Pull in the large guns. If this silent harassment turns into a person subsequent you about or obtaining way too near, you can go to the entrance desk. Strategy a supervisor and say, “As a having to pay consumer, I adore coming listed here, but there is certainly a predicament which is producing me not comfortable.” It really is her occupation to occur up with a strategy of motion to assist you and to keep the health club your happy place.
a clear signal that he’s fascinated. Place the kibosh on it by displaying him you are so not down. It’s all about physique language: Preserve your eyes (and your emphasis) on the training, and maintain an assassin’s frozen stare so he is aware you might be not hunting to mingle.
Sources: Leah Lagos, Psy.D., medical and sport psychologist Nancy Hogshead-Makar, senior director of advocacy at the Women’s Athletics Foundation and a civil rights legal professional
Far more from Self.com:
- The Greatest At-Residence Gymnasium Equipment
- Health club-Novice Tips
- CrunchLive Delivers the Fitness center to Your Living Space
POPSUGAR Physical fitness
There are so numerous ways to get your sweat on – no need to have to stick to what you know. If you’re trapped in a exercise rut, then take this quiz to see what development you must try out to leap-begin your health and fitness existence.