When you’re worried about calories, drinking the wrong cocktail can make all the difference. Two drinks out with the girls suddenly turns into a 1,000-calorie night. One of the easiest ways to not let this happen is to always go easy on the mixers.
Order your spirit of choice neat or on the rocks, or opt for a zero-calorie mixer like soda water. If a cocktail without fruit juice seems a bit too much for you, ask the bartender to add just a splash of your favorite fruity beverage. Most importantly, avoid premade mixes since they are dripping in corn syrup and additives. When made right (aka without a mix), classic cocktails like mojitos and margaritas contain under 200 calories.
Want more tips on living healthy? Enter our Get Fit For 2013 contest. You’ll receive healthy living tips (like this one!) straight to your inbox, and you’ll be in the running to win a prize package that includes a trip to Mexico, $ 500 worth of Zobha fitness clothes, a Vitamix, and more!
There’s a good deal of strain that comes with the New Year – resolutions and fresh commences to name a few. Try anything various in 2013, by producing easy, healthful swaps as a substitute of location out with a list of complex resolutions. Try out switching out your pack of Splenda for flossing . . . sure, flossing! These small adjustments will sooner or later add up, and without recognizing it, you will shortly complete what you set out to do.
- Just take the stairs: Instead of hopping on the escalator or waiting around for the elevator, consider the stars. It might not seem to be like considerably, but at some point all those stairs include up. The consequence? A toned tush and killer calves – ideal for these heels!
- Swap out Splenda for stevia: Though all these small yellow packs have zero energy, they frequently coincide with a selection of unwanted indicators like problems and belly pains. Considering that the notion of a no-calorie sweetener is attractive, attempt stevia, a natural extract manufactured from the stevia plant. This is a healthier alternative when in comparison to other artificial sweeteners and is a straightforward swap to make to your day-to-day cup of espresso.
- Stretch: An important act that often receives dismissed, a number of minutes of stretching ahead of and immediately after your exercise (and all through the working day) will make all the distinction when it will come to your total overall health. Displaying your muscle groups a tiny love will prevent damage and will keep you prolonged and lean. You can even extend in the shower!
- Floss: Flossing is component of any healthy schedule and for good explanation. Flossing takes seconds, but will prevent plaque buildup, which at some point leads to gingivitis. It also maintains your pearly whites white colored. Who isn’t going to want that?
- Drink your veggies - daily: Juicing arrives with hundreds of advantages. Juices and smoothies are fresh new, on-the-go ways to flood your entire body with nutritional vitamins and vitamins and minerals. Make a smoothie as soon as a working day for an extra pep in your action (we assure).
When life feels overwhelming or just plain rough, finding comfort can be hard. But continuing to focus on the negative is only going to draw more negativity your way. If you’re feeling anxious or like you just can’t kick a tough day, try these three tips for an instant mood boost.
Breathe deep: The easiest way to chill out during a tough day? Oftentimes you’ll realize that your breath has been shallow for hours – or even all day! Simply take some deep, full breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Drawing attention to lengthening your breathing pattern will instantly offer some relief.
Get grateful: On a day when you’re feeling especially overwhelmed, take the time to make a gratitude list. Giving yourself a moment to focus on the good and positive things you have to celebrate will take the edge off your stressful situation. Counting your blessings never hurts!
Listen to music: Music has the power to really change your mood. While research has shown that lying down and listening to music is as effective as a massage, plugging in your headphones and going for a quick walk can really help you calm down when things are feeling rough.
How do you relax or find happiness during a tough day?
Not being able to get quality sleep is serious business, so if you’re not getting the shut-eye you need, here are 20 ways to fix that ASAP.
- Drink herbal tea: Settling down with a mug of noncaffeinated tea can help you relax before bedtime. Up the sleep-inducing power by opting for herbs that have their own relaxing properties, like chamomile, mint, and valerian.
- Read a book: Set aside a few minutes each night to meander your way through a favorite book to help power down from a hectic day.
- Put away the iPad: The blue light from tech devices tricks your mind into thinking it’s day, so have a cutoff time for watching movies and catching up on email that’s at least 30 minutes before you need to go to sleep.
- Have a sleep-inducing snack: Honey, nuts, and dairy all have something in common: they contain compounds that may induce sleep. Get a list of sleep-inducing foods here so you can choose your midnight snack wisely.
- Stretch it out: Stretching your limbs relieves aches, but it can also calm you and prep you for sleep. Here are a few ideas for stretching before bed so you can begin the relaxation process.
The weight-loss formula may still be somewhat elusive, but there’s one thing we can all agree on – dropping pounds is largely about calories in and calories out. A good goal if you’re looking to lose weight is to burn (or cut) 500 calories a day; do this for a week and by the end you’ll have burned a pound’s worth (3,500) of calories.
If you’re having trouble finding enough time to exercise, working off that many calories may seem daunting. Strapped for time? Here’s a no-diet plan for burning 500 calories by the end of the day.
Morning: After a quick pre-workout snack, spend 20 minutes doing an exercise that will energize you for the day. Circuit workouts burn 208 calories in 20 minutes; follow along to our own back to basics 10-minute video workout (do it twice) for a quick total-body burn you can feel.
Total calories burned: 208
Afternoon: No matter how busy your day gets, your body – and mind – can use a break from your desk. Take just 20 minutes during lunch to briskly walk around outside while running errands or catching up on your phone calls; you’ll not only burn 81 calories, but you’ll also benefit from the fresh air.
Total calories burned: 299
Couch time: Up your calorie burn for the day with a few minutes of jumping rope. Twelve minutes of jumping rope burns 132 calories; you can break it up into two-minute segments to do during commercial breaks during your favorite shows.
Total calories burned: 431
Before bed: As you wind down for the night, make sure you do a gentle stretching sequence that will get mind and body ready for bed. A Hatha yoga sequence burns about 78 calories in 25 minutes; this restorative yoga sequence is the perfect length to burn, tone, and relax at the end of your day.
Total calories burned: 509 (calculations based on a 130-pound woman)
For a week-long plan to burn 3,500 calories, check out our beginner’s workout schedule.
screening for girls with ovarian cancer do far more hurt than good. But 3 questionnaires to identify ladies who are most likely to benefit from further testing.