“Like turkey?” I joked to my sister-in-law at Thanksgiving dinner, as I noticed her plate piled high with white meat and a little bit of what looked like cooked veggies she brought from home. “I’m on the Ideal Protein Diet. I’ve lost 20 pounds, and I’ve got my eye on the prize,” she said. The diet she went on to explain intrigued me, because I saw the results right before my eyes.
What Is It?
The Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method was medically developed two decades ago by Dr. Tran Tien Chanh to help people lose fat without losing muscle mass. It’s a high-protein, low-carb diet, but unlike other low-carb programs, it’s not just about eating high protein, it’s about eating the right protein. This diet also severely restricts sugar intake (simple and complex) until your weight-loss goal is reached. This ensures that your glycogen (carbohydrate) reserves are completely depleted, which forces your body to dip into your fat reserves to lose weight. What’s also different about this diet, and what makes it so successful, is that it teaches followers to read labels, make healthy choices, and shows what to do to maintain weight once the goal is reached.
What Does the Diet Entail?
Phase 1 (followed strictly until weight-loss goals are met): Eat an Ideal Protein Breakfast, an Ideal Protein Lunch with two cups of select veggies*, your own dinner that incorporates an eight-ounce portion of real protein (including fish, seafood, beef, poultry, pork, veal, eggs, or tofu) with two cups of select veggies (including bell peppers, broccoli, cucumbers, kale, asparagus, and spinach), and an Ideal Protein Snack. There are also vitamin supplements.
Phase 2 (2 weeks): Same as above but now you can eat your own lunch consisting of a seven-ounce portion of real protein and two cups of select veggies. Dinner is the same as lunch.
Phase 3 (2 weeks): Lunch and dinner are the same as in Phase 2, but breakfast now consists of fruit (no more than 20 grams of carbs), grains (no more than 30g of carbs), and dairy (no more than 120 calories) to make a 400- to 500-calorie breakfast. This phase slowly increases your calorie intake to a maintenance level.
Phase 4 (for life): This phase teaches you how to balance carbs with proteins and fats in your daily diet to ensure you don’t regain the weight back.
*Off-limit vegetables: artichoke, avocado, beets, carrots, chick peas, corn, olives, parsnips, peas, potatoes, pumpkin, sweet corn, squash, yams
What to Expect
Since you’re dramatically changing how you eat, about 30 percent of Ideal Protein dieters can expect all the symptoms that go along with feeling hungry including headaches and fatigue, as well as constipation and possible nausea. By the end of the first week, most people lose three to seven pounds (mostly water weight), but seeing results can be the inspiration needed to keep with the plan, and in the following weeks, you’ll lose fat. It can also help people lower their cholesterol and blood pressure.
What About Exercise?
When you exercise, glucose levels increase leading to gluconeogenesis – synthesizing glucose from noncarbohydrate sources, mainly from your muscles. To prevent muscle loss, exercise in the first three weeks is not recommended, unless it’s light exercise (1/3 to 1/2 of your normal intensity). After three weeks, you can include exercise, but be sure to stay well-hydrated.
As you can see, this diet is pretty precise, which can be be seen as either welcoming or too restrictive, based on your personality. Since you have to purchase Ideal Protein products, this program can be pretty costly (about $ 100 a week) for Phase 1. If you do a little research online, you’ll find that there are ways you can substitute their products for cheaper ones, but for those set on losing weight, they’d rather not stray from the plan. There are gluten-free meal and snack options available, but if you’re a vegan, this diet probably isn’t for you. It’s definitely worth looking into if other diet plans haven’t worked for you in the past.
With the holiday seasons nearing, it’s time to commence considering about what to give the people on your list who commit as a lot time on the mat as they do at property. No need to pressure - we’ve done the buying for you! From handmade jewelry and prints to significantly-required components and clothes, we have got just about every thing your yoga-loving gal (or man) could would like for.
No time to cook? That doesn’t mean you can’t eat right. One Self staffer tries out the best new healthy-food delivery companies so your waistline doesn’t have to suffer.
Healthy eating can be full of roadblocks and excuses: It’s too expensive, healthy foods aren’t available in your area, you don’t have time to cook healthy meals, you can’t cook or maybe you’re just too tempted by the “easier,” less healthy options that are available, aka the usual take-out. But as consumer interest in health and wellness increases, the demand for healthy and convenient food options is growing — and businesses are responding. Think outside the (CSA) box with new subscription and delivery services that cater to any lifestyle. Think of it as a Choose Your Own Adventure.
If the thought of turning on a stove terrifies you . . .
- Healthy Hand: If you’re stuck in the office (or it’s just frigid like today), let the team at Healthy Hand sort through hundreds of menu items from NYC and New Jersey restaurants. Pay a monthly fee ($ 28), choose your dietary preference (overall health, weight loss, athletic/muscle or vegetarian) and set a budget. You’ll get an email each day with options, and your food arrives around an hour after you order. I opted for a vegetarian wrap and side salad – tasty, but much larger than my normal lunch, and there was no way to check said meal’s nutritional info.
- Zesty: San Francisco, we’re jealous of you in so many ways. Add Zesty to the list. This just-released app let’s you choose filters based on your lifestyle (low carb, gluten-free, paleo) and search for meals from area restaurants. Each entree has complete nutritional info and ingredients listed, all analyzed and evaluated by Zesty’s in-house nutritionist, Michelle Davenport, Ph.D., R.D, so you know just what you’re putting in to your body. “We are extremely selective about the restaurants that we feature on our app, and only featuring those who are willing to work with us and comply with our nutrition standards,” says Davenport.
- Fullosophie: This Dallas-based company promises to deliver the farm to your fork. Focusing on local, fresh ingredients and meals free of hydrogenated oils, preservatives, dyes, or artificial flavorings or sweeteners, Fullosophie makes prepared food that is healthy, but that’s totally not “traditional” diet food. Meals are made with organic ingredients as much as possible and most are between 400-600 calories. Be sure to add the best-selling White Chocolate Cayenne Puppy Chow to your order for an extra treat!
- Farm to Fit: Known for its sustainability, and natch, great food, it only makes sense for a food delivery service that offers simple, clean meals in Portland. Choose a 5- or 7-day meal plan based on your target daily calorie consumption (1200-, 1600-, and 2000-calorie plans are available) and allow you to specify any allergies. Your week of meals arrives microwave-ready. No guesswork - plus a great way to support local farmers.
If cooking up a storm is totally your thing . . .
- Blue Apron: I felt instantly more ambitious and domestic when I opened my first box of fresh, pre-measured ingredients for the Chili-Rubbed Flat Iron Steaks with Quick Kimchi. Although I’m not much of a carnivore, my dinner guest was highly impressed by the taste and presentation of the meal. I’m also NOT an expert cook, but the easy to follow instructions (complete with pictures) made it simple to follow along, almost like those paint-by-number books we had when we were younger. Blue Apron delivers to most parts of the U.S., and at around $ 9.99 a person per meal, it’s great for budget-conscious folks.
- Plated: My mouth started watering when I saw the featured cook-it-yourself meal on Plated’s website: Potato Goat Cheese Cakes with Balsamic Vinaigrette. The company delivers its signature boxes of fresh ingredients to most parts of the country, and offers four meat-based and three veg-based dishes that all take under 30 minutes to prepare per week. Good-for-you fats and superfoods are incorporated into each dish and an estimated calorie count is provided with each week’s menu.
- PeachDish: Scrolling through PeachDish’s Insta feed made me want to pull on a pair of cowboy boots and move to Atlanta, where the startup is based. And how could we not yearn for the Handmade Guacamole, Fish Tacos and Caramelized Bananas currently occupying slots on their menu!? The company is less than a year old, but it’s already taking the city by storm, and their boxes are often spotted in the mail room at the more than fifteen colleges and universities in the Atlanta area.
- Destination Dinners: Educational take-out? We’ll take it! The boxes from DD include the basics for an global-themed dinner — along with information about the country from which the recipe is from. However, you provide the fresh ingredients. Jerk Chicken & Shrimp — we’re coming for you, even if a trip to Jamaica isn’t in our sights just quite yet.
More from Self.com:
- Think Fast! 15-Minute Chicken Dinners
- Easy One-Pan Meals
- Cut Time (and Cals!) With These No-Cook Recipes
This week on POPSUGAR Girls’ Guidebook, Evelina Barry shared an amazing Catching Fire nail tutorial, Brandi Milloy showed us how to make turkey cookies on Just Incorporate Sugar, Prime That‘s Tyler Oakley and Becca Frucht revealed their favourite One Course reminiscences, and we confirmed you how to put together for the approaching 1D album release in an all-new POPSUGAR Hurry. Catch up on the past week now, and will not overlook to strike that subscribe button for far more wonderful films!
POPSUGAR Health and fitness
If you usually shy absent when your yoga trainer phone calls out Plow Pose, it’s time to start welcoming this asana into your life. This huge neck-, back-, and shoulder-opening posture can do amazing factors for a limited entire body – particularly folks who sit behind a desk all working day!
With that mentioned, Plow Pose can feel a little awkward if you happen to be not positive how to roll into it. Get these guidelines to protect your physique and preserve by yourself any pointless shame.
Assist your shoulders: Placing things up with proper props offers your physique helpful help. No matter of your stage, stack a handful of (a single to a few) folded blankets beneath your shoulders ahead of rolling up into Plow Pose. Be confident that your head and neck are off the blanket so you will not put needless force on the precious vertebral column.
Will not overlook to breathe: You may possibly be nervous when Plow Pose rolls all around in your class, but do your ideal to just hold on respiratory. If you are a more substantial-chested lady or your shoulders are incredibly limited, Plow Pose might feel like it’s trying to end you from breathing. Never fret or give up! Just be sure to set up on people blankets to give your chest a little added respiration area.
Will not pressure about your toes: If you happen to be model-new to yoga, your physique may possibly not be completely ready to shoot into the full expression of Plow Pose when you roll backwards and swing your legs over your head, tight hamstrings may well not enable your feet to achieve the ground. If you can relate, set up the scene with a chair! Pull your mat toward the wall and established up your chair against the wall. When you roll your hips in excess of your shoulders again into Plow Pose, emphasis on resting your legs on the chair as an alternative of forcing them to touch the ground. Gradually, above time, your human body will start open up and this pose will really really feel very relaxed.
Externally rotate arms: If you usually come to feel like you might be going to shoot back again into a somersault when you are rolling into Plow Pose, emphasis on rooting your arm muscle tissue into the ground just before you get ready to roll. After you might be lying on your back, spot your arms by your sides, palms experiencing down, and emphasis on the external rotation of your arm muscle tissues. Following you’ve got rolled back into your edition of Plow Pose, interlace your fingers, so you can shift your shoulder blades closer collectively – significantly like Shoulderstand. Now you have established up a solid foundation, and you will not really feel like you’re likely to tilt over or hit your following-door neighbor on their mat!
POPSUGAR Health and fitness
If you happen to be concerned that strength education signifies you’ll bulk up like a man, consider once again. Our close friends at Shape turned to celebrity trainer Jay Cardiello to locate out the ideal way ladies can obtain muscle mass without having turning into the Outstanding Hulk!
Not all girls are looking to drop weight – some really want to insert a number of lbs .. But not just any lbs .: they generally imply they want to gain lean muscle mass. And just as with weight loss, excess weight acquire arrives down to caloric consumption vs. caloric output. There are other aspects that can assist, however, so that you place on muscle mass in the healthiest and most efficient way.
When you happen to be in the health club doing work out, you are breaking down your muscle tissues (i.e., placing anxiety on them) out of the gym, they get better and develop via diet plan, sleep, and hydration. Here is your two-part program to optimize muscle mass progress.
Inside of the Health club
one. Do strength workout routines that are compound muscle actions. In other words and phrases, do moves that employ numerous muscle tissues and a number of joints at the same time. These recruit and crack down much more muscle fibers so that in the recovery stage, more are building and developing than if you ended up to do just isolated muscle moves. Workout routines include squats, lunges, deadlifts, cleans, burpees, strolling lunges, and plyometric moves like soar squats and box jumps, and can be done with or without weights, as appropriate.
two. Raise heavier weights. I’ve said it ahead of: teach like a guy – search like a lady. Do not be afraid of larger weights! If you elevate like the boys, your physique generates testosterone in purchase to adapt to the big stress that you area on it, and this will help construct muscle mass. If you might be doing a back squat easily with just a bar, incorporate five to ten lbs . to every single side. If you are performing 8 to ten reps of any transfer easily, which is a good sign you must boost your fat. For entire body-bodyweight moves, do more reps (if you can – some body-excess weight exercises are challenging sufficient).
three. Up your rep pace. An additional way to location much more stress on your body is just to full your reps faster (with out sacrificing sort). A excellent pace is one particular repetition every two seconds. You ought to even now be in a position to sustain your sort.
four. Adhere to minimal-effect, mild cardio. And not quite considerably of it. Cardio will get your blood flowing, so your muscle tissues are getting more oxygen, which encourages muscle development. But will not do a lot of it: you need to always be lifting more often than performing cardio if you want to boost your muscle mass. A very good plan to stick to is energy coaching 3 moments a 7 days and one day of light, minimal-affect cardio – no 6-mile runs. Believe about a lengthy-length runner’s human body (quite lean, low human body excess fat) in comparison to a sprinter’s human body (far more muscular). Also do not do cardio ahead of your power-coaching session if you do pick to do them on the same working day. This will exhaustion your muscles, and you’ll sacrifice kind and boost threat of injury.
Exterior the Health club
?1. Time your carbs. Take in far more carbohydrates at breakfast and instantly right after your exercise in that half-hour anabolic window to optimize muscle restoration. Your human body has that quick window publish-training to restore, so get a liquid carbohydrate and protein drink into your entire body to aid replenish your glycogen merchants as fast as feasible. This has established to restore muscle recovery, boost lean muscle mass gains, and enhance expansion hormone amounts. Throughout your cardio session, sip on a carb-rich or calorie-rich consume to make sure you preserve your calorie consumption up. And widespread perception right here: for the relaxation of the day, take in very good-for-you food items (i.e., tons of shade and protein). For far more advice, follow this taking in program to achieve weight in a healthful way.
2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Consume 50 percent of your body fat in ounces of water every day, so your muscle tissue continue to be full and saturated.
3. Rest. This is exactly where the magic truly occurs. Soon after a workout, your muscle tissues use the nutrition and h2o you have ingested throughout the working day, and will work for the duration of your rest to develop and expand your muscle groups. So never skimp!
Much more on Form: