Nutritious Snack: Gluten-Totally free Quinoa Pizza Bites
I’m crazy for quinoa and crazy for pizza. Put them together, and you get a nutritious treat featuring the goodness of the whole grain packed with fiber and protein and a savory, gluten-free snack.
The original recipe calls for pepperoni, but being a vegetarian I substituted diced cherry tomatoes for a sweet juiciness that complemented the basil and oregano. Whip these up for a flavorful nibble for your next party appetizer or as a hearty afternoon snack.
Continue reading for the simple recipe and to find out how many calories are in one pizza bite.
Adapted from SoVeryBlessed.com
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pizza sauce for dipping
- Place the quinoa and two cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
- Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (one heaping tablespoon each), and press down gently to compact.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
Makes 24 mini muffin bites.
Here’s the nutritional info for one pizza bite. If you enjoy three for a snack it’s 144 calories, 2.1 grams of fiber, and 8.4 grams of protein.
Source: Calorie Count